Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Scotland Beginnings

I am going on my fourth day in Dundee already! So far my journey can be summed up in one word- Jet-lag.

I assumed that having an overnight flight from Toronto to Edinburgh would be perfect, because I could sleep on the plane and land in Scotland early in the morning without a hitch. Unfortunately I forgot how difficult it is to sleep on planes, and only got about 1 hour of sleep...

I had a rough day on Sunday, after losing an entire night of sleep. I stepped off the plane I had to go through customs, and of course there was a problem with the documents I brought. I was missing some version of my acceptance letter, and was almost not allowed to go through. I clearly had my visa, so they ended up letting me go through. The guy at the border was actually very nice, and could probably sense my panic, and decided to be merciful! Afterward, I met my driver and two other students, and we made our way to Dundee. It was about an hour drive through cloudy, misty farmland. It actually looked quite similar to upstate NY!

I collected my keys when I arrived at my building, and then had to drag my 72 pound suitcase up four flights of stairs. When I made it to my room I took a quick shower, but had to make do without a towel...which was difficult. I then made a quick bed out of scarves and sweaters, and planned to pass out...

However, as I was about to drift off I heard noises in the hallway, so I decided to meet my flatmates instead of sleeping.

I have 5 flatmates, and they are all wonderful and very friendly. There is Matthew from England, Lynn from China, Mael from France, Manu from Greece, and another girl from China who has a difficult name. It is very interesting to be living with so many different people. Everyone is studying different things besides me and Manu, who are both in the Medical Art Programme. It was very exciting to finally meet someone who wants to do the same thing as me! I have waited for that moment for a long time.

In the past several days I have been battling a cold (no doubt due to my body's confusion and lack of proper sleep). I have also done a lot of walking around the city, and have also been getting some items for my room and for the kitchen. I have not attempted to explore night life yet, because my body needs to catch up first!

Nothing else terribly exciting has happened yet! But so far I like the looks of things!

Best Desk Ever! 

Day 3: finally got myself a pillow! Oh the luxury...


My new building! 

Kilt Rental Store, obviously


Apparently the sunniest day Dundee has ever seen

Sadness...

River in my backyard that leads right to the sea!



Streets of Dundee


Really cool old cemetery! 




No comments:

Post a Comment